Tuesday, March 05, 2013

To Kill a Mockingbird #2


"Of all days Sunday was the day for formal afternoon visiting: ladies wore corsets, men wore coats, children wore shoes."

"Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing."

"“Jean Louise, I’ve had about enough of you this morning,” she said. “You’re starting off on the wrong foot in every way, my dear. Hold out your hand.” I thought she was going to spit in it, which was the only reason anybody in Maycomb held out his hand: it was a time-honored method of sealing oral contracts. Wondering what bargain we had made, I turned to the class for an answer, but the class looked back at me in puzzlement."

"Had her conduct been more friendly toward me, I would have felt sorry for her. She was a pretty little thing."

No comments: